Sunday, July 19, 2015

BON VOYAGE!!

Sails have been set. I have painted my ship green as for me it is nature’s colour which symbolizes freshness, life and ever-lasting growth. Where am I headed for? My ship is about to leave the shores of ignorance and is set for a journey on the sea of wisdom. I am on my way to explore one of the most interesting islands present on this sea called writing – the island of words. For some learned minds, writing simply is stringing words into meaningful sentences. Little do they know that it is an art that, just like any other art, envelops within itself a vast history responsible for its development.

From simple and majestic verses to intricate and magnificent novels, a myriad of incidents lies in between its transition. Style, tone, language and narrative techniques – the gradual development of writers in all these aspects not only captures the literary history, but also encloses the changes that our society (both eastern and western) has undergone from time to time.


My fanaticism, however, for venturing into this island has two very strong reasons. First, as a writer, I need to know and comprehend my limitations; the stumbling blocks that lay between my writing and me need to be kicked aside. Second, I need a one-word identity that defines me and for this, I cannot think of any other word than ‘writer’. God has been very kind to me as He has blessed me with a beautiful life, and I fail to come up with any other mode to manifest His wonders than the mode of writing.

Pen is mightier than the sword. This age-old adage of Edward Bulwer-Lytton stands true for any and every century. Hence, when I have been gifted the magic of writing, I feel it my utmost duty to use it through the wand called pen. My contributions may not turn out to be as significant as William Shakespeare, Rabindranath Tagore or of any great writer as for that matter. But, the fact that I possess at least some percent of their gift and my few contributions through prose will suffice my soul.

Apart from these two reasons, my hunger for knowledge has also acted as a compelling factor for setting me on this journey. Writing goes in conjunction with reading for the more you read, the more you learn. Books not only reveal facts of life, but also show the astounding, inventive power of the human mind. How else do you justify the popularity of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter or T. R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings?


Having stated my reasons, I now feel it important to let know my readers that you all are my compass for this journey. The wind seems to be rough at present, but if you are willing to guide me through your critical appreciation, then I will always be able to find my way back. I now embark on my journey. Bon voyage to me and to my readers! J

No comments:

Post a Comment